Company: City of Fargo, ND
Posted on: November 18, 2023
Salary: $59,446.00 - $77,272.00 Annually
Location : Fargo, ND
Job Type: Full Time Regular (40)
Job Number: 2023-00297
Department: Communications & Governmental Affairs
Division: Administration/Public Inf - SELECT THIS OPTION
Opening Date: 11/15/2023
Closing Date: Continuous
In addition to a resume and cover letter, please include a
portfolio of applicable work and three professional references in
your application packet. Applications submitted without the
components listed above will not be reviewed.
The Multimedia Producer leads efforts in researching, developing,
editing, writing, shooting and voicing video stories which advance
the strategy and goals of The City of Fargo. This position curates
strategic storytelling efforts for the department and across the
organization. This work includes envisioning, producing, leading,
social generating, analyzing, collaborating and communicating to
educate a variety of audiences, including residents, businesses,
members of the media, City employees and community groups on the
operations and services of The City of Fargo. The videos created by
the person in this position will vary from short-form videos with a
fast turnaround to long-form videos spanning several weeks.
Scope of Responsibility:
The Multimedia Producer is responsible for ascertaining and
transforming high-level ideas into engaging video stories through
the entire creation process, including brainstorming ideas,
pre-production planning, shooting, editing and shaping the content
message. This individual will collaborate with the full
Communications & Governmental Affairs (CommsGA) team and other
cross-functional departments to plan, create and produce vivid and
impactful informational, broadcast and social media style videos to
showcase The City of Fargo's services, features and share The
City's story in a unique and engaging way. Frequent direct
collaboration will occur between the Multimedia Producers and other
members of the CommsGA team.
The Multimedia Producer is expected to engage in strategic,
creative thinking, script creation, voiceover oversight, talent
management, shooting, editing and producing video materials and
staying up-to-date on the latest technology and creative trends,
all while exercising initiative and sound judgement to
strategically advance The City's core mission and objectives. This
position will also serve in a back-up capacity to the Broadcast
Services Division of CommsGA to produce live broadcasts and assist
with AV needs for City meetings.
The Multimedia Producer will be required to work through video
reviews and constructive feedback from members of CommsGA and the
project stakeholders. The hours of this job are variable and the
Multimedia Producers will need adjust schedules to lead video
shoots and broadcast work outside of normal hours as needed. This
position will be a part of a rotational on-call weekend
- ENVISIONING - Act as a driving conceptualizer and creator for
the City's external video communication efforts and a contributor
to internal efforts.
- Function as an exceptional communicator with the ability to
effectively translate technical information, City policies or
programs for dissemination to the public in an easy-to-understand
- Generate ideas, write, research, coordinate and distribute
gathered information through video production to showcase City
services, programs and events.
- Collaborate with the CommsGA staff members and cross-functional
departments to write video scripts. This position will be the
primary script creator for video production efforts, which will
also include the authoring of textual visual elements. This will
require visualization efforts in ensuring the script and subsequent
b-roll accurately convey the intended project scope.
- Creatively execute and direct the vision of video stories from
pre-production processes through the eventual internal approvals.
The position is responsible for developing original and compelling
ideas for digital content.
- Strategically shape the narrative and roll out of content and
individual video story/message.
- Research and analyze background information related to complex
events or programs to produce resident-facing stories to
effectively distill and package information in a compelling and
- Determine a story's emphasis, length and format, effectively
organizing material to compellingly advance the core values of The
City through storytelling.
- Research trends across new videography equipment and advance
change by making recommendations for capital equipment purchases,
as well as software, digital assets subscriptions and broadcast
- PRODUCING - Create high-quality video, podcasts and voice
recordings to engage a diverse audience.
- Creatively and efficiently develop each story while adhering to
brand guidelines and City-wide strategic goals. This includes
producing high quality, professional-sounding voiceovers which may
involve sourcing, utilizing, directing and negotiating external
- Produce supplementary materials, including motion graphics and
teaser videos to drive interest in projects.
- Work with departments across the organization to record
campaign videos for PSAs, recruiting videos, educational videos and
short videos designed for viral consumption.
- Assist with organizational photography, including event photos
for use on social media, public websites, publications and other
- Independently organize video creation concepts capturing The
City, its residents, businesses, events and naturalistic
- Spearhead efforts to implement and maintain a centralized video
file library (Iconik) to ensure all departmental divisions have
access to the raw files.
- Creatively direct new styles of content in the City's central
production facility (Studio 105) including short internal and
external informational videos, podcasts, interviews and other
- To promote continuity of operations, this position will be
cross-trained to assist in the production of the live broadcast and
rebroadcast of the City's meetings on and off-site, across cable
access television channels and social media platforms. This
includes both broadcast locations, Commission Chambers, Sky Commons
and Gateway Commons as well as mobile, live broadcast as
- LEADING - Drive the strategic vision for video production and
lead efforts in the conceptualization and design of compelling and
- This position will serve as the operational video production
collaborative liaison between the department's Broadcast Services,
Community Engagement, Creative Services and Public Information
- Produce a variety of video types from concept to completion,
highlighting topics interesting and useful for residents and
visitors of Fargo.
- Strategically lead department and City employees to a
successful end product, even if they have no knowledge of the
- Support CommsGA staff with video creation for use in
advertisements, email campaigns, social media and other
- Create video layouts to showcase civic storytelling of the
organization's missions, programs and employees to present to the
- Review copy and correct errors in content, grammar and
punctuation, following City style and formatting guidelines.
- Broadcast, edit and disseminate the City's recorded meetings of
its boards, commissions, committees, and press conferences to
- Assist as a secondary technology troubleshooter and lead
broadcast technician for live, broadcasted meeting, events and
- SOCIAL GENERATING - Strive to create higher rates of engagement
and increased numbers of followers/subscribers across the City's
various social media platforms through videos.
- Act as a content contributor among the City's social platforms
by providing digital content to assist in the work of the Community
- Work with the Community Engagement Division to develop content
based off the different needs and trends of different social media
- Work across departments to cross-promote City events and
- Collaborate with departmental staff to create short videos for
social media consumption, as well as broadcasting events live to
our social media channels.
- ANALYZING - Using various methods and measurement tools, gather
and provide datasets to the CommsGA Leadership Team as part of the
on-going evaluation of the effectiveness of current communication
- Monitor storytelling trends and provide technical expertise
regarding the communication industry to ensure content and style
are contemporary, while maintaining conformity with established
- Research new and innovative strategies of communicating
information by surveying peer government agencies and the private
- Engage in peer benchmarking for storytelling to monitor and
modify ideas for potential incorporation into Fargo's videography
- Routinely evaluate the various departmental videos' accuracy of
presentation and that the contents are integrated with the City's
overall communication initiatives; this involves ensuring that
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) standards are being met.
- Produce reports on the consumption of video content across the
City's various platforms to be analyzed by City staff for
evaluation of efficacy.
- COLLABORATING - Serve in a capacity that permeates all CommsGA
- Assist the Public Information Manager in ensuring all forms of
video communications are coordinated, timely, accurate and
on-message to promote credibility, public trust and awareness of
the City. Prepare video content in various manners to sometimes be
tailored specifically for the media's needs.
- Assist with coordinating production activities with video
production vendors, consultants or partner agencies while working
with them to ensure brand standards and integrity are met.
- Help increase cooperation between cross-departmental teams and
ensure collaborative future video efforts.
- Provide and receive constructive feedback in the video review
process through multiple revisions and video versions.
- Coordinate with the department's Project Manager on realistic
deadlines and project workloads. Also, to negotiate with
departments to right-size and right-fit the deliverable with the
scope and intended goals of the end product.
- COMMUNICATING - Courteously and professionally maintain working
relationships in executing job functions.
- Communicate with others (specifically the Project Manager) to
provide information relating to work assignments and relay progress
- Interact with the public, vendors and across departments to
exchange detailed and/or technical information where an explanation
of concepts is needed, such as conducting a video interview and
adapting to the situation.
- Schedule meetings with other departments and attend trainings
to gain a better understanding of different roles throughout the
organization. This position is required to conduct interviews to
successfully extract employee expertise and knowledge.
- Build contacts and direct sources within other departments to
unearth potentially valuable news stories and content ideas.
- Stay in contact with other members of CommsGA or the
appropriate vendor if video or broadcast equipment or software is
not successfully operating.
- Serve in a training capacity to other City employees and
departments who may be working with video or broadcast technologies
for the first time.
- PRIORITIZING SAFETY - Perform all job duties in compliance with
safety guidelines and with an on-going awareness of safety
- Know and follow department and City rules, as well as quality
work and safety practices in order to accomplish the job objectives
and avoid injury or loss.
- Recognize digital security concerns and adhere to polices
established by the City.
- Utilize protective equipment when required and proper body
mechanics and ergonomics while performing work.
- When potentially unsafe conditions are observed, report them to
the CommsGA Leadership Team in a timely manner.
- ADAPTING - Perform other duties and activities as assigned.
This position requires graduation from an accredited college or
university with a bachelor's degree in digital media, video
production, multimedia design, mass communications, broadcast
journalism or a closely-related field; at least 1.5 years of prior
production experiences or an equivalent combination of education
and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential
duties of the job. A valid driver's license is also required.
Knowledge, skills and abilities should include:
- Ability to conceptualize, produce and edit videos with a strong
emphasis on strong storytelling.
- Skills in interpersonal communication to facilitate high-level
discussions with co-workers, supervisors, the general public and
others to exchange or convey information, resolve disputes and
receive work direction.
- The ability to multitask, with adherence to multiple deadlines,
under stressful or difficult situations.
- Preferred Part 107 Certified UAS Pilot.
- Project management experience with precise accuracy and
attention to detail.
- Strong troubleshooting and problem resolution
- The ability to quickly demonstrate effectiveness, credibility,
thoroughness and collaborative skills in adhering to and advancing
The City of Fargo's brand.
- Digital social media engagement optimization concepts and
strategies for video production.
- Fluency in computer applications used by the Communications &
Governmental Affairs office, including the Adobe Creative Suite and
Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience conducting and shooting interviews.
- Excellent visual and conceptual motion graphic design
- Experience with non-linear editing software, Adobe Premiere Pro
- Experience with digital camera equipment and knowledge of
manual camera functions.
- Experience with color correction and color grading log
- Experience with audio equipment and audio editing.
- Experience broadcasting/live streaming.
- Experience positioning objects in a frame and adjusting for
Work is performed in television studios and on location at meetings
and events, resulting in a variety of settings including
intermittent exposure to moving traffic, extreme weather
conditions, construction or hard hat sites, rough or unstable
terrain and electrical components. Vision is required to perform
and monitor essential functions, including viewing the full range
of the color spectrum.
Activities include stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching,
standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, hand dexterity,
grasping, feeling, talking, hearing/listening, seeing/observing and
repetitive motions. Also, carrying video equipment. Intermittent
(once or twice per week) use of a vehicle on City business is also
required. At times deadlines are very strict.
On occasion there may be a need for emergency response. In an
emergency situation, the person may be required to be on-site for a
prolonged period of time at a designated facility. Activities
include fingering, grasping, talking, hearing/listening,
seeing/observing, repetitive motions.
Occasional overnight travel may be required. The person in this
position is required to be on-call during some evenings and
weekends as some events, press conferences and emergency response
situations take place outside of normal work hours; this
responsibility is shared among the Multimedia Producers.
Medium Work: Physical demands are normally those associated with
medium work: Exerting up to 60 pounds of force occasionally, up to
20 pounds of force frequently, and/or 10 pounds of force frequently
Some requirements in this job description may exclude individuals
who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and
safety of themselves or other employees. All requirements are
subject to modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge,
skills, and experience required. To perform this job successfully,
the worker must possess the abilities and aptitudes to perform each
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or
otherwise, other than an "at will" employment relationship. The
City Administrator retains the discretion to add duties or change
the duties of this position at any time.
The City of Fargo offers a comprehensive benefit package, to
include participation in the North Dakota Public Employees
Retirement System. For more information on our benefits click
If you are applying for a Part Time Temporary or Seasonal position,
you are not eligible for benefits through the City of Fargo.
Keywords: City of Fargo, ND, Fargo , Multimedia Producer, Other , Fargo, North Dakota
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!